COVID-19 | UPDATE #2 from City of Haines City
Below are details regarding City operations in compliance with the most recent COVID-19 guidance provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. The following decisions are through Friday, April 17, and will be reevaluated for the subsequent 30 days. Moment to moment updates and changes to CDC guidance may result in modifications of this plan and will be addressed in updates following this release.
CDC: Interim Guidance for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
**Guidance as of 3/15/2020**
Large events and mass gatherings can contribute to the spread of COVID-19 in the United States via travelers who attend these events and introduce the virus to new communities. Examples of large events and mass gatherings include conferences, festivals, parades, concerts, sporting events, weddings, and other types of assemblies. These events can be planned not only by organizations and communities but also by individuals.
Therefore, CDC, in accordance with its guidance for large events and mass gatherings, recommends for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.
Events of any size should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene, and social distancing. When feasible, organizers could modify events to be virtual.
This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses. This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus. This recommendation is not intended to supersede the advice of local public health officials.
All Parks & Recreation facilities will be closed beginning tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17. This includes Lake Eva Event Center, Lake Eva Community Center, Oakland Neighborhood Center, and Haines City Public Library.
City Hall will remain open to accept utility payments. We encourage residents to use Online Bill Pay and the drop box as available alternatives.
All in-person meetings with City employees will be canceled; phone conferencing only.
- Commission meeting is currently scheduled for Thursday, March 19. However, the potential to reschedule the meeting will be determined by Wednesday at 5PM.
- Presidential Primary election will take place tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17 at designated polling locations.
- Municipal elections will still take place at designated polling locations Tuesday, April 7. We encourage residents to request a mail-in ballot.
- Haines City and Polk County School Board Administrations will have locations available for grab-and-go lunches (locations below). Hours of Operation: 11 AM-1 PM. For more information, please contact PCSB.
- Headstart/VPK | 1008 Avenue D Haines City, FL 33844
- Alta Vista Elementary | 801 Scenic Hwy, Haines City, FL 33844
- Eastside Elementary | 1820 E Johnson Ave, Haines City, FL 33844
Canceled Events & Programs
At this time, all City events not compliant with the CDC Interim Guidance as of 03/15/2020, have been canceled or will be postponed until further notice.
- Spring Break Camp (Parks & Recreation)
- March Finally Friday (CRA & Northeast Chamber)
- Doctor Who Party (Haines City Public Library)
- The Charleston 9 Seminar (Haines City Fire Department)
- Easter Egg Hunt (Parks & Recreation)
- Haines City Theater
- Outdoor Soccer
- Girls Volleyball
- Haines City Little League Baseball
- Miss Haines City Softball
- Instructional Programming
*If you have an upcoming rental at City facilities, a member of our staff will contact the event applicant directly regarding the decision and how it will affect your event.
Message from the Mayor Morris West
“Be assured your local government is working to make sure we do everything in our power to limit the spread of this virus in our community. The safety of our residents, visitors and employees are paramount, and we will continue to take measures to flatten the curve.”
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | National COVID-19 Center
Florida Department of Health | COVID-19 Information Center
AdventHealth | AdventHealth Coronavirus Resource Hub
City of Haines City | Website | Facebook